Copyright 2014 Hidden Wirral

web logo hidden wirral

Bidston Court The House that Moved Away

One of the most interesting buildings on the Wirral is the Hillbark Hotel which was formerly known as Bidston Court. But it is not only the name that has changed, the most interesting part is that it's location has changed. Robert William Hudson built a house called 'Bidston Court' on Vyner Road South near Bidston Hill in 1891. Germany's Crown Prince Wilhelm was so impressed with the house that in 1913 he built a similar house, the Cecilienhof in Potsdam. The house was sold in 1921 to Sir Ernest Royden and in 1928 was moved to its present site in Frankby, brick by brick, finally being completed in 1931. It was renamed 'Hill Bark'. The original site of the house was given to Birkenhead Corporation

Bidston Court (7)