Text & Whatsapp - 07542391726

Email: queries@hiddenwirral.org


Twitter @hiddenwirral


Copyright 2014-2019 Hidden Wirral

web logo hidden wirral

Wallasey Village Historic Myths & Legends Tour



Have you heard of the Historic Myths & Legends of Wallasey's Oldest Village?

Hidden Wirral Myths & Legends present - Wallasey Village Historic Myths & Legends Walk

Tickets cost £ per person and limited to 15 Tickets per Tour

Journey back in time this Autumn around the old Village of Wallasey and follow in the footsteps of former residents, where you will discover Authentic Truths, Myths, Legends, Hidden Tunnels, and a few Murderous Tales about the old Village's dark past. Wallasey Village was an agricultural area which had its own Mill, Quarry, Schoolhouse, Ancient Church, Public houses and various other places making it a self sustainable community. It is also the oldest inhabited area of the borough of Wallasey. You will be visiting Wallasey's oldest surviving graveyard at St Hilary's 16th Century Church, where we will introduce you to the historic past of the Wallasey Wreckers and Smugglers, including two graves connected to smuggling and the great gale. Hear of the dodgy rector and the Secret Smugglers Path from Wallasey across Bidston Moss to Bidston Village in order to distribute contraband stolen on the Cheshire Coasts. We shall also be visiting the Ancient Breck Quarry the site of Wallasey Mill & Grannies Rock. We offer a morning of History and Mystery to capture the imagination and inspire the mind. Tours available on Tuesdays at 10am. Following the Tour, Food & Drink is available to purchase from the old Black Horse Hotel, now known as Sheridans.

About the Venue:

The old Black Horse was one of the oldest hostelries in Wallasey, dating back to 1722 and is believed to have taken its name from a horse entered in a race at Leasowe by a Lord Molyneux in the 1700’s. The pub was probably named after 'Black Slave', a horse which won a 200 guineas bet in a race held on the sands between Harrison Drive and Leasowe shore in 1778. Black Slave was one of the most famous horses of the day. The Black Horse Pub (Sheridans) in Wallasey Village is again haunted by a little girl who perished in a fire nearby. She has been known to play games with punters in the side bar. The Celler also houses several spirits, whom are not as friendly. By August 1931 the new Black Horse had been built. The pub was designed by T. Taliesin Rees and Richard Holt, F.F.R.I.B.A., of Rodney Street, Liverpool.

On This Tour you will hear of:

The Pubs, Inns and Hotels of Wallasey Village
Local Legends & Myths
Wallasey Racing
Wallasey Mill
Wallasey Smugglers
Leasowe Castle
Leasowe Lighthouse
The Old Village
Ghost Tales
Hidden Tunnels
St Hilary's Church
The Breck
The Boode Memorial
The Cheshire Cheese
Village Traditions
Old Cinemas
Old Pubs Long Gone
The Cottage Hospital
And So Much More

In 1898 the Village consisted of a long straggling main street with cottages and small farmsteads, stretching from the parish church to the corner of the present Grove Road, with small crofts and closes on either side of the street. Apart from various brick fields and quarries Wallasey Village was mainly agricultural. St Hilary's Church has many traditions myths and local legends. An area of the churchyard that contains no graves is said to be where the bodies of several notorious pirates were interred. Smugglers’ tunnels lead from beneath the old tower, from the old Rectory, and from a grave in the churchyard, in the direction of Liscard Castle, possibly as far as the Wormhole Complex of tunnels in New Brighton. According to a story told in 1866, by the coroner at the inquest into the wreck of the ship Elizabeth Buckham, one Sunday, when a wreck was reported off the shore, the rector of the church said: ‘Keep  your seats till after the collection and then we can all start fair,’ and then led his entire flock to plunder the cargo of the wreck. ‘Wrecking’ was a way of life in Wallasey of yore, and the same coroner related a prayer taught to children in the old days:
God bless feyther and God bless mather,
And God send us a wreck afore morning.

Tour Capacity: 15 People
Tour Duration: Approx 1 Hour
Suitable for Children: Yes (Ticket Required)
Wheelchair Friendly: No
Price: £5 per person
FREE Parking Available

Please Arrive at least 15 minutes before the stated time

Meeting Point
Sheridans Pub Car Park
Wallasey Village
CH45 3LQ

Our Preferred method of payment is Paypal but we do accept Credit and Debit Card. No registration required, simply add to cart and checkout!

If you can not pay via online facilities please contact us so that we can offer an alternative method via Text or Whatsapp us Direct on 07542391726

What To expect on the Walk

Wallasey Mill. Big and proud and high on a hill. Pasture land and country lanes stretched below it. It stood for just over one hundred years. It ground a flour that was described as “white as the first snow”. Flour from a local mill from corn and wheat from local fields. The mill was a landmark. Then it capitulated to grass and moss and overgrowth. It tumbled. All so long ago. The village has changed dramatically in the last hundred or so years and we will be speaking of the myths & legends, housing, shops, public houses and entertainment venues that were once situated in the area. Starting at the Sheridans, we begin our Journey into the Old Village.

We shall then head to School Lane which was previously known as Nelson’s Gutter. Here was situated The Ring O’Bells pub, The Cheshire Cheese and various old cottages including a school. Using old photographs we will compare to how it looked then to present day and the dramatic changes that have been made. Walking in the direction of Poulton, we will be heading across St Hilary’s Brow and Breck Road junction  to the former site of the Sebastapol Inn.

Moving on we shall then head to the fascinating area of the old Wallasey Mill, The old School House and The Breck which was formerly a Quarry. Heading back to The Brow, we will then travel to St Hilary’s Church and the Tudor Tower,  which is one of the oldest remaining landmarks in Wallasey. We will then be talking about the Hidden Tunnel situated beneath the Tudor Tower and its connections to the Pirates & Smugglers of Wallasey. Walking down Claremont road we will talk about the old Cottage Hospital that was situated nearby. Descending Sandy Lane we will then reach the Lighthouse Inn and the Farmers Arms which are both steeped in their own history. Moving past St Mary’s School we will then head to the Roundabout and Leasowe Road, speaking of more history as we pass by the old shops and cinema that were once situated along the row. Finishing back at Sheridans. Book now and don't miss out.

Hidden Wirral payment