Copyright 2014 Hidden Wirral

web logo hidden wirral

The Secret WW2 Tunnels and Bunker of New Brighton

At the Outbreak of the Second World War, The Ministry of Defence took command of the Underground Tunnels Beneath the New Brighton Palace. Here they put over 200 Women to work on the Home Front making munitions for the War effort. This continued until the End of the War

 

The Machinery from the Munitions Factory is Still inside the Tunnels for you to view on our Exclusive Historic Tours.

 

 

 

Wallasey History (11) Click Here to Purchase Tickets ww2 women 3

During World War II the US Army was stationed at New Brighton and a large motor pool known as Depot 0616 was kept at the Tower Athletic Grounds.

 

The 347th Ordnance Depot Company was stationed at New Brighton from December 1943 until March 1944. After World War II

New_Brighton_1959

Check out the Liverpool Echo Interview with Tony Frank-Buckley inside the tunnels

 

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/inside-secret-underground-wwii-weapons-13404634

 

The New Palace, was built in the late thirties. The pit itself was filled in with rubble from the remains of the Old Palace. During World War Two, between 1942 and 1944, the arcade was Depot 0616 of the U. S. Army: the cellars became an ammunition factory employing two hundred women, a base for fire watchers, and a communal air raid shelter, one entrance to which, a large iron grille, is still to be seen in Virginia Road at the back of the Palace.

Women working on 20mm cannon shells in an underground munitions factory beneath the New Brighton Palace, which also produced .303 rifle bullets for the Ministry of Supply